Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Kids, School, and other reasons I love being a Mommy..

I love school. For more than just the reasons you are thinking...yes, it gets my little ones out of the house for most of the day, and its almost-free babysitting while I am at work...but that is not why I love school.

School is one of those fabulous opportunities for my kids to shine. And shine they do! I was never more proud of them than I was today.

My eldest daughter and her brother both go to the same school, and today she had an accident. The kind of mishap on the school grounds that can provide excellent fodder for the less reputable kids in the yard to use to humiliate a child for years to come. The kind of accident that would cause a child to run to the bathroom and hide in a tiny stall until mom or dad show up. She fell in the playground and ripped her pants from stem to stern.

The older boys were having a field day. My son, being an older boy, could have joined in on this revelry, mocking and ridiculing her. But he did not. And at the supreme disappointment of his friends, he stood up for his sister. He stayed with her and made sure that she got safely to the washroom. He made the call home on her behalf for someone to come to his sisters rescue. And for that, I am very very very proud of him.

My middle boy and his little brother go to a different school (until the construction is finished, and then they will all be going to the same school). They attend grade two and kindergarden. Today is my little kindergardener's second day of school, and his first time riding on the bus. His big brother stayed by his side the -entire- time. Big brother helped him on the bus, helped him off the bus, and according to him, was there at recesses as well to help him on the big equipment. I am SOOOO proud of how they stick together.

My heart is just bursting right now for how my family helps each other, for how they are there for their brothers and sisters when in need. I am SO proud right now I can barely stop smiling.

3 comments:

Jackie Plank said...

I always knew D would do right by T, even though they fight all the time he loves his sister and this just goes to prove it. :) Tell him I am proud of him too.

Jay said...

I can really relate to how that sort of thing can be heart warming for you. And a bit relieving i guess to, that you raised them to be conscientious in a time of crisis. I really pound it into the heads of my kids that bullying and cruel behavior is totally not tolerated. Sometimes i have to remind them (if you know what i mean), but i too have found that in crisis situations, they stick together, which is really the most important thing. Nice parenting job!

Joanie said...

It's so precious that they take care of each other! It really does warm the heart to see our kids get along. There are times when I see Hayden and Silas fighting and despair at them, but minutes later they'll be hugging each other or laying down together with a book. It's incredible to realize that underneath the sibling rivalry, they really do love each other.